Stumped:: web HTML. Caution, may be OT.

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri May 30 03:20:06 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 06:14:26PM -0400, Bob Johnson wrote:
> On 5/29/08, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> > 	Several weeks ago a friend asked why my www.thought.org page
> > 	was so hard to read.  She said that part of my text was black
> [...]
> > 	I'd be much obliged for any help here.
> >

> Konqueror says that the comment that reads
>
> <!-- click on Graphic to goto jottings.thought.org --!>
>
> isn't closed until the end of the next comment way down the page, so
> it is ignoring all the code in between. I think that's your problem
> (there is a typo in the close of the comment). In other words,
> Konqueror seems to be displaying the page correctly. The other
> browsers are probably (incorrectly) treating end-of-line as
> end-of-comment.
>
> When you "View Document Source" in Konqueror, it highlights the markup
> to make it easier to spot such problems, and comments stand out pretty
> distinctly. In fact, it appears there are a few other places with that
> same typo (closing a comment with "--!>").

	yes!  it looks like you are right on the money! next time you
	are in seattle, i'll buy you a beer.

	(also, this may explain why sometimes my comments bombbed during
	testing.  i thought "<! ...... !> was *legal*.  *mumble::censored*)

	thank you * 1000,

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix