Need to build a new mail server

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Fri May 30 01:20:13 UTC 2008

On May 29, 2008, at 16:55, Sahil Tandon wrote:

> Patrick Baldwin <Patrick.Baldwin at studsvik.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all, I've got an older Solaris system running Sendmail for my
>> mail server right now.  It's about time to replace it, and I'm
>> thinking FreeBSD might be the best choice of OS for the replacement.

I am currently using a 2U server from abmx.com for my mail server.  It
has a quad processor in it and it runs sendmail, dspam, tmda, clamav,
and some local stuff in addition to a number of other functions not
related to mail.  It was cheaper than the equivalent DELL servers and
it appears to be all top of the line components.  It serves several
thousand users, many of which receive a lot of mail (I suspect much of
it is spam).  load averages:  0.17,  0.43,  0.35.  Those are typical.
You may not need that much horsepower, by my servers are quite a way
from me and there is no one there most of the time.