Need to build a new mail server

Sahil Tandon sahil at tandon.net
Thu May 29 23:56:01 UTC 2008

Patrick Baldwin <Patrick.Baldwin at studsvik.com> wrote:

> Hi all, I've got an older Solaris system running Sendmail for my
> mail server right now.  It's about time to replace it, and I'm
> thinking FreeBSD might be the best choice of OS for the replacement.

FreeBSD == good choice. :)

> However, it's been some time since I looked into options for mail
> servers.  I'm interested in both suggestions for hardware and mail
> servers that would make for the best FreeBSD based mail server.
>
> I've only got about two dozen users, though they are all very heavy
> users of email.  I'm using IMAP, and I'd like to continue to do so.

That's a small user base, so you don't "need" to invest much in hardware.
For the server, I highly recommend Postfix.

> Finally, we have quite a few aliases I'd want to port over to a
> new server.

That should be fairly straightforward; for hints, see the mailing list
archive for your MTA, or ask them the question.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil at tandon.net>