pkg_create v make package

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Thu May 29 21:06:28 UTC 2008

Hi

What's the difference between packages made by these two methods?

Eg I have youtube_dl installed. From within the youtube_dl port directory

# make package-recursive

resulted in
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  8389 29 May 21:14
/usr/ports/packages/All/youtube_dl-2008.04.20.tbz

whereas from within my home directory

% pkg_create -Rb youtube_dl-2008.04.20

resulted in
-rw-r--r--  1 chrisw  chrisw  8281 29 May 21:22 youtube_dl-2008.04.20.tbz

similarly there is a size difference for the one or two dependency
packages I checked that were created at the same time.

make package in the ports directory insists on compiling and installing
  the port and seems to do a lot of other things like registering
dependencies and creating symlinks in /usr/ports/packages/ whereas
pkg_create just creates the package tarball (and dependencies).

I would prefer to use pkg_create to avoid recompiling everything but I
would like to know that installing a pkg_create package with pkg_add
will properly install all the dependencies as well.

Thanks

Chris