Stumped:: web HTML. Caution, may be OT.

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu May 29 07:16:31 UTC 2008

	Several weeks ago a friend asked why my www.thought.org page
	was so hard to read.  She said that part of my text was black
	on the deep-blue bg on my RHS.  I stopped and checked with
	firefox; things looked fine.  I've done all markup by hand since
	'94, very carefully, with only browsers in the ports tree--
	mozilla, firefox, a couple others.

	About a week ago I viewed my homepage with KDE Konq and almost
	flipped out.  One "free" commercial historical calender event
	feature was glued to the bottom of my blue bar (<TABLE></TABLE>)
	on the RHS of the page.   And yep, the new text and other things
	were centered in the middle of the long blue rectangle.

	Since I have a few weeks now to work on things beside research,
	it's time to update my main web page.   My friend was using IE;
	it may be that Konqueror uses a similar parser to position
	things on a .php or .html page.

	Other than beginning from Zero and trying to determine exactly
	what causes firefox and konq to diverge, do any of you have any
	other ideas?  I've never learned an HTML editors because of the
	learning curve.  But:: if/when I come up with a better design for
	my home page, I'm willing to try again:: any best (simple) HTML
	editors in ports?

	I'd be much obliged for any help here.

	gary

--