Pros and cons of amd(8) vs. hald(8)

Mark Ovens parish at magichamster.com
Mon May 26 19:10:50 UTC 2008

Would anyone care to offer any advice as to which is the better choice?

I've never used amd(8) but have recently enabled hald(8) which seems to
work reasonably well although I've had some crashes with USB devices -
it probably doesn't help that my Asus m/b uses the AMD 76x chipset which
had some USB issues and so did the mobo BIOS (Asus supplied a PCI USB
card with the board to get around these).

The advantage, if you see it as such, with hald(8) is that it enables
KDE to pop-up a "what do you want to do" dialogue when you attach a
device which amd(8) won't.

Regards,

Mark