/usr/src/Makefile instructions

KAYVEN RIESE kayve at sfsu.edu
Sat May 24 02:09:14 UTC 2008

On Fri, 23 May 2008, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> KAYVEN RIESE <kayve at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> > Tom Evans wrote:

> > > I've redirected this to questions@, as this seems more like a 'User
> > > question/technical support' rather than 'General technical discussion'.
> > > Please try to keep the mailing lists on topic.
> >
> > That list is too busy.  I find I don't have to unsubscribe to
> > "hackers," and it doesn't seem as hard core to misinterpret
> > what "hackers" are, than say "ports" or "acpi"
>
> Well, "hackers" usually means developers, i.e. people
> hacking on the FreeBSD code.  Therefore I'm afraid I
> have to agree with Tom:  Your questions should better
> go to the questions list.

ergo: because obviously I am a flumming idiot.  I thought hacker
was something you took eucalyptus fro.

> > I realized that "make delete-old" and "make delete-old-libs"
> > are both part of the "cannonical," I guess because I am going
> > RELENG_6_3 to RELENG_7
>
> I always use "make delete-old", as instructed in the
> /usr/src/UPDATING file, and it has never bitten me.
> Please have a look at that file; the important part
> starts at the section titled "To rebuild everything".

Actually, after composing this I kicked myself, because
/usr/src/Makefile has clearly instructed me to do
make delete-old after make installworld and I think
I will throw caution to the wind and append -U to my
subsequent mergemaster followed by make delete-old-libs

> > On that note, was I given misinformation when I was advised
> > that it would be impossible to upgrade RELENG_6_2 directly to
> > RELENG_7 ?
>
> "Nothing is impossible!", as Dr. Farnsworth from the
> Futurama series used to say.  :-)

Oh well.  Water under the bridge.  I expect to someday edit
this to RELENG_7_1 or the like when freebsd.org says so and
following the instructions in /usr/src/Makefile again.

> But seriously ...  I think going from 6.2 to 7.0 should
> work fine.  However, the official notion is that updates
> across major versions have to be supported only for the
> latest stable release.  Any other configurations might
> work, but it's not guaranteed.  If it fails, you're not
> expected to complain or ask for help, but instead try
> the officially supported way (i.e. first update to the
> latest stable on your existing branch, then update
> across the major version boundary).  If that still fails,
> you may complain and ask for help.

Interesting.  No.  Fascinitating.  Captian Kirk, I believe
this star will supernova in approximately 12 days, 13 hours,
34 minutes and 23.3425 seconds.

> Note that it is IMPORTANT to rebuild *all* of your ports
> when you update from 6.x to 7.x.  (This holds true for
> any major version update.)  If you don't do this, you
> will get library dependency collisions, i.e. port A uses
> libc.so.7 and depends on port B, but port B still links
> against the older libc.so.6.  Things will break sooner
> or later.  That's why you should rebuild *all* ports
> after updating to 7.x.  (You can keep older ports only
> if you are absolutely sure that they are not part of any
> dependencies, and never will be.)

My habit is to run cvsup standard-supfile followed by
cvsup ports-supfile.  IS that a dumb thing to do?

> In your previous mail you mentioned:
> > Things work, but dmesg has errors,
>
> Would you please tell us what those errors are?  We might
> be able to help you, but only if you tell us.

I told the ACPI folks and they told me nicely that my appropriate
post was too much of a hassle to bother with.  Some ding dong
was attaching after the fact of the wing ding and the fact that
the errors occured between the wing and the ding was irrelevant
since the dong ding subsequent to the ding ding recalibrated the
whosits in an adequate fashion before reaching single user mode.

> > and many ports fail and their makes
>
> Again:  Please post messages and everything relevant to
> the problems.  There are really people on these lists
> that are willing to help, but we need as much information
> as possible in order to be able to help.
>
> Best regards
>   Oliver

Well.. I reckon I mights a git up thah gumpshun whenis I's gonna
get tootin' on sumptin that gits mah goat subsequently.