AAC driver. No kernel error messages for failed raid5?

Chris St Denis chris at smartt.com
Fri May 16 19:58:54 UTC 2008

Robert Jesacher wrote:

> On 06.05.2008, at 22:02, Ed Maste wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 12:44:02PM -0700, Chris St Denis wrote:
>>
>>> I pulled out one of the raid5 drives to test the functionality and
>>> noticed that FreeBSD didn't seem to notice the disk failure at all. I
>>> was expecting kernel messages about it, but got nothing.
>>
>> This is missing functionality in the aac(4) driver.  For now about
>> the best you can do is regularly poll the status using Adaptec's CLI
>> tool "arcconf."
>>
>> -ED
>
> The tool you need to look into is: sysutils/aaccli . I think arctool
> is only for arcmsr-devices.
> unfortunately aaccli doesn't provide the possibility to use it with
> parameters, so you probably
> need to use it with an expect-script.
>
> On the adaptec 2410SA I activated the "alarm" feature in the
> controller bios, which helps me,
> because its a home server but this will not help you if your server is
> sitting somewhere else.
>
> Because of this limitation (and a few other things with the
> controller) I'm certainly looking for
> an other solution. In my case a ZFS-based software RAID will suffice,
> but this might not be
> desirable for you.
>
> Take care & good luck,
> Robert
arcconf from ports works fine. It hangs on exit but does die off
eventually and doesn't do any harm sitting in background for a while
when run from cron, and from the commandline I can just ^c it.

Here is what I used in cron for anyone who is interested:
/usr/local/sbin/arcconf GETCONFIG 1 LD | egrep '(name|Status)'
It gives results like this which work well. Could probably be
incorporated into the daily run output, but I don't know exactly how off
hand.

       Logical device name                      : Boot mirror
       Status of logical device                 : Optimal
       Logical device name                      : Data raid5
       Status of logical device                 : Optimal

According to arcconf my card doesn't have an audible alarm :(