Linux compat library error: ELF file OS ABI invalid

Glyn Millington glyn at millingtons.org
Tue May 13 18:46:36 UTC 2008

Kris Kennaway <kris at FreeBSD.org> writes:

> Mel wrote:

>>> Wow - can I just check that I have this right before I do it?!

>>> get rid of /usr/X11R6, which on a system-wide basis is a link to /usr/local

>>> Create an empty  *file* /usr/X11R6

>>> make it system-immutable

>>> Merge new stuf in the /usr/local/lib directory into the hints file

>>> But the app in question needs to get at
>>>
>>> /usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/
>>
>> The app however looks for /usr/X11R6/lib/libXfoo.so.1. If both exist
>> in base system and linux emulation, then the linker will hand it the
>> first one it finds, which because of the /usr/X11R6 symlink to
>> /usr/local will be the FreeBSD one.
>
> The lookup order for linux binaries is /compat/linux/foo first, then
> /foo if the former does not exist.  So if /compat/linux/usr/X11R6
> exists, then it is seen by linux binaries (similarly for files below
> this path).  As far as I know, this file should be a directory, not a
> symlink.  Moreover, the desired libXext.so.6 lives in that
> directory. It is a symlink pointing to another file in the same
> directory.

Just to summarise :-)

So far this description above fits my situation exactly - everything is where
you say it should be, and everything worked until a couple of days
ago. Having done a  portupgrade -akOP recently things appear tio have
gone wrong with the results as described originally.

For some reason  /usr/compat/linux/opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/soffice.bin

can't find the linux library which is where you describe it, until I
make a symlink, linking  /compat/linux/usr/local to X11R6 - then soffice
works but other things break

> If neither exist (or exist but are corrupted), then the linux binary
> will fall back to the bogus FreeBSD one in another search path.

But doesn't the above suggest that

A. It exists and
B. It works when soffice.bin can find it.

?

atb

Glyn