Linux compat library error: ELF file OS ABI invalid

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 13 16:20:25 UTC 2008

Mel wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 May 2008 15:48:58 Glyn Millington wrote:
>> Mel <fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net> writes:

>> Wow - can I just check that I have this right before I do it?!
>>
>>> Best fix:
>>> rm /usr/X11R6
>> get rid of /usr/X11R6, which on a system-wide basis is a link to /usr/local
>>
>>> touch /usr/X11R6
>> Create an empty  *file* /usr/X11R6
>>
>>> chflags schg /usr/X11R6
>> make it system-immutable
>>
>>> /sbin/ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib (just to force the linker to re-read the
>>> dupes).
>> Merge new stuf in the /usr/local/lib directory into the hints file
>>
>>> As a bonus, the old apps you still have pointing to /usr/X11R6
>> But the app in question needs to get at
>>
>> /usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/
>
> The app however looks for /usr/X11R6/lib/libXfoo.so.1. If both exist in base
> system and linux emulation, then the linker will hand it the first one it
> finds, which because of the /usr/X11R6 symlink to /usr/local will be the
> FreeBSD one.

The lookup order for linux binaries is /compat/linux/foo first, then
/foo if the former does not exist.  So if /compat/linux/usr/X11R6
exists, then it is seen by linux binaries (similarly for files below
this path).  As far as I know, this file should be a directory, not a
symlink.  Moreover, the desired libXext.so.6 lives in that directory.
It is a symlink pointing to another file in the same directory.  If
neither exist (or exist but are corrupted), then the linux binary will
fall back to the bogus FreeBSD one in another search path.

Kris