FBSD 6.2 Xeon 2.4ghz CPU and high load

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Fri May 9 18:43:40 UTC 2008

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> software was upgraded as well which consists of MailScanner and
>> Sendmail. Both had been keep up to date so it was not a jump in
>> required resources.
>>
>> The issue I am seeing is that my server load, under the same traffic
>> load, has increased 4 times or more. Where previously we saw a high
>> load on the servers of 5 to 8, we are now seeing 14 to 17. Since the
>> upgrade Sendmail has begun to timeout connections.
>
> do you feel that system goes slower?
> i think it's just the matter of calculation method - 6.* may calculate
> it different way.
>
> just change in your sendmail config the values in place of xx
>
> define(`confQUEUE_LA', `xx')
> define(`confREFUSE_LA', `xx')
>

> as just accepting mail isn't a problem i set confREFUSE_LA very high

It is already set to higher than the load we see. I don't "see" sendmail
refusing connections. What happens is I try to test sendmail from
another server and the connection never completes. I'm knockin',
sendmail ain't answering.

DAve

--
In 50 years, our descendants will look back on the early years
of the internet, and much like we now look back on men with