SMB share not mounting at startup

Stephen Allen sdafreebsduk at rowyerboat.com
Wed May 7 17:10:15 UTC 2008

I am trying to mount an SMB share at startup.  I have configured (as
root) .nsmbrc so I don't have to type a password.  When I run "mount
-a", it mounts beautifully.

However, when restarting the server, it will not mount automatically.
According to rc.conf(5), smbfs is part of 'netfs_types' so rc should
wait until after the network is started before trying to mount it (so
shouldn't fail).  I have an entry in /etc/fstab as follows:

//backup at snap-cms/unix_backups  /mnt/snapserver  smbfs  rw  0 0

Does anyone have any ideas?  I'm wondering if the .nsmbrc file can't be
read because rc isn't running as root - and if so, where can I put .nsmbrc?

Many thanks,
Steve :)