Need to download FreeBSD

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Wed May 7 16:07:05 UTC 2008

Bill Moran wrote:

>> Mr./Ms.:
>>
>> I am trying to download FreeBsd from
>> http://www.freebsd.org/fr/where.html. But so far, I have been
>> unsuccessful at it as I am asked to provide a user name and a password.
>> Anonymous login does not work either. Though some few days ago I started
>> downloading Disc1 (iso) just to find out that the checksum was not
>> right. Can I you assist, please ?
>
> I just tried and it's working fine for me.  What software are you using
> for the download?  Perhaps your FTP client is doing it wrong.

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/ is currently rejecting my "anonymous" in 50% of a
small sample of attempts.

To OP:  you may wish to try one of the mirrors closer to you (Spain,
France, South Africa?? I have no idea how you connect to the world).
See
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/fr_FR.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors-ftp.html

Another thought is to consider using Bittorrent if it is available to
you.  As this splits the files into many small chunks, checksums each
one independently, and can be stopped and restarted at any time with
very little loss of already transferred bytes, you may find it more
resilient in your situation.

--Jon Radel