living with freebsd

Peter Boosten peter at boosten.org
Mon May 5 11:03:00 UTC 2008

Quoting Zbigniew Szalbot <z.szalbot at lc-words.com>:

> This got me interested. So basically for a server, you don't do any
> upgrades unless there are security issues to solve or new features that
> you need?
>
> It seems to me that sometimes if you have waited with an upgrade for
> too long, it is more difficult to upgrade than it would have been if
> you had followed all small updates which appeared along the way...

I think you have to differentiate between updates and upgrades. I
consider an upgrade moving from one release to another (say from 6.2
to 6.3), while security patches are updates.

I always run updates, but I don't always follow upgrades. Recently I
upgraded one older machine from 5.5 to 6.2 (en even more recent to 6.3).

Peter

--
http://www.boosten.org