"Operation not permitted" at end of portupgrade

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat May 3 11:31:22 UTC 2008

Mike Clarke wrote:

> Operation not permitted - /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/libc.so.5
> Operation not permitted - /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/libc_r.so.5
> Operation not permitted - /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/libcrypt.so.2
> Operation not permitted - /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/libpthread.so.1
> Operation not permitted - /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/libthr.so.1
>
> The permissions on all these files are -r--r--r--. Should I change them
> to  -rwxr-xr-x like the rest of the files in that directory or just
> ignore it?

That's actually because those are backup copies of system shared libraries
(probably from the compat5x port) which have the system immutable bit
set on them.

Use 'ls -lo' to see what flags are set.

Use 'chflags -0 filename' to unset any flags: note your ability to do
this depends on the kern.securelevel setting.  If 'sysctl kern.securelevel'
returns greater than zero, then you'll need to reboot into single user in
order to modify those files.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3