pkg_add goofiness in 7.0

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Mon Mar 31 21:36:34 PDT 2008

> > extract: execute '/usr/local/bin/xmlcatmgr -sc /usr/local/share/sgml/catalog.ports add linuxdoc/catalog'
> > xmlcatmgr: unbalanced arguments for `add' action
> > pkg_add: command '/usr/local/bin/xmlcatmgr -sc /usr/local/share/sgml/catalog.ports add linuxdoc/catalog' failed

> That looks like a warning from xmlcatmgr which may or may not be
> important, but the package apparently added itself completely (no
> errors were reported by pkg_add).

It may not make a lot of difference, but I am now wondering how to
recognize an "error reported by pkg_add" since this:

> > pkg_add: command '/usr/local/bin/xmlcatmgr -sc /usr/local/share/sgml/catalog.ports add linuxdoc/catalog' failed

looks like one to me, but apparently it isn't.

> You should look into the xmlcatmgr documentation, or talk to the
> port maintainer, to find out what that warning means and if it
> is important.

I didn't find anything pertinent in the (minimal) installed
documentation.

Just taking the xmlcatmgr message at face value, it looks as if
some addition that linuxdoc intended to make in some catalog did
not get done.  Anything following that step in the postinstall
script may also not have gotten done.  My gut suspicion is that
there is something wrong with the linuxdoc postinstall script
-- or perhaps linuxdoc has an unstated dependency which I don't
happen to have installed -- rather than something wrong with
xmlcatmgr.  PR time, I guess :(