Wake-on-LAN and the em driver (freebsd 7.x)

Kent Hauser kent at khauser.net
Mon Mar 31 11:43:41 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 5:23 AM, Walker <zflyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW;
>
> I have two 7.0-RELEASE boxes with single (on board) and dual
> (pro/1000) em NICs.  WOL works fine on both.
>
> The link light must be on after FreeBSD shuts down for WOL to work.
> You might try using the latest proboot.exe from Intel which allows you
> to update the NIC firmware and change its settings.  There might be
> FreeBSD sysctl knobs that might help as well.

Thanks for the pointer. I tried the proboot.exe utilities, but the must run
in a "dos" environment -- not under an XP command window.

Is there an easier way? I'm not sure how I'm going to get my machine booted
into DOS -- maybe I can find an 8-track player to provide background music
while I work.

THanks.  Kent