Wake-on-LAN and the em driver (freebsd 7.x)

Walker zflyer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 08:23:33 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 6:31 AM, Kent Hauser <kent at khauser.net> wrote:
> How can I get the WOL (wake-on-lan) feature to work on my 7-stable system? I
>  have a dual-boot system with an Intel PRO/1000 PT card that works great with
>  FreeBSD, but the WOL only works under XP. Is there an ifconfig option (or
>  similar) to enable WOL under FreeBSD?
>
>  I notice that the LED on the gigibit hub for system is not lit after FreeBSD
>  "halt -p", but is lit (low-speed) after XP shutdown.
>
>  Any help appreciated.

FWIW;

I have two 7.0-RELEASE boxes with single (on board) and dual
(pro/1000) em NICs.  WOL works fine on both.

The link light must be on after FreeBSD shuts down for WOL to work.
You might try using the latest proboot.exe from Intel which allows you
to update the NIC firmware and change its settings.  There might be
FreeBSD sysctl knobs that might help as well.