disable periodic scripts

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Sun Mar 30 16:41:58 PDT 2008

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 15:18:12 -0400
Warner Lambert <unixchild at live.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> How can I disable those nightly/monthly/... periodic scripts? I don't
> need them, these days professional monitoring software such as nagios
> is used to monitor 200+ systems. I can't read 200 mails showing me
> hundreds of lines of output even if nothings happening. Am I just
> deleting all the /etc/periodic/* stuff or is there a switch like:
> turn_off_ancient_system_administration="YES" ?

The periodic scripts do other things apart than monitoring, but if
you're sure you wont need any of the system maintenance features, and
wont install any packages that rely on local period scripts, you can
disable them in /etc/crontab.

Otherwise, you may want to look at /etc/defaults/periodic.conf for how
to send the output to rotated log-files.