Odd Keyboard, mouse, networking issues

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Mar 27 11:48:51 PDT 2008

Outback Dingo wrote:
> I installed FreeBSD 7 on a IBM thinkpad Z60M,  Xorg from ports, 3 different
> window managers, kde, xfce4 and fvwm-crystal
> in console, there is no issue
>
> in X anytime i type something on the keyboard, anything, regardelss of being
> in a console or in firefox
>
> the text doesnt display, or execute until i move the mouse
>
> ie.. in a console under X if i were to type
>
> ps ax<CR>
>
> nothing would print, or execute until i moved the mouse, then it prints and
> executes
> in firefox, i can type in a full url in the address bar, nothing types or
> prints until i move the mouse
> if i click file, the menu doesnt open until i move the mouse ever so
> slightly.
> This occurs in all window managers, both xfce and fvwm-crystal, which leads
> me to think this is an
> OS problem or a port installed the all window managers use.. ie... dbus? fam
> ? hal ?
> its quite odd and disturbing since i used kde3 on FreeBSD-7-PRERELEASE and
> BETAs for months
> this same laptop has run FreeBSD fine for 2 years.... i blew away the old
> installation to install a fresh system
> all ports are built from ports.... im connected to the intenet via wireless
> ( iwi0 ) and have a usb mouse ( logitech ) video for X is ATI
> Ive had the same hardware for the longest time, a fresh install and a fresh
> set of packages on 7 is now creating havoc
> even networking seems choppy unless i am moving the mouse, like during a
> download, console doesnt update until the mouse moves
>

> any thought or ideas on where to start looking ? dmesg attached

It's a known issue under discussion in the freebsd-x11 list at the moment.
Something in the latest gnome upgrade went a bit askew, and hal is running
rampant and causing havoc.

Some suggested fixes are:

   * Reconfigure Xorg so it recognises your mouse as /dev/usm0 (for USB mice)
     or /dev/psm0 (for ps/2 mice) rather than /dev/sysmouse

   * Apply a patch to the sysutils/hal port created by Joe Marcus Clarke -- see
     http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2008-March/006210.html

   * Recompile x11-servers/xorg-server after toggling off the HAL support in the
     OPTIONS dialogue.

However, all of these are still in really the very early stages of debugging and
solving this problem.  Any of the proposed solutions has undesirable side effects
which may or may not preclude your being able to use them.  I recommend that you
read the entire thread 'X pausing until mouse move' starting here:

  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2008-March/006179.html

so you understand the pros and cons as well as is possible before trying anything.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW