hplip setup problems

Predrag Punosevac punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Wed Mar 26 13:35:34 PDT 2008

Isaac Mushinsky wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Predrag Punosevac
> <punosevac at math.arizona.edu <mailto:punosevac at math.arizona.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Isaac Mushinsky wrote:
>     Obviously the device can not communicate with the kernel. My first
>     hunch
>     would be to blame on ugen driver
>     of BSD but look at this lines from hp-check that I copied from you
>     message.
>     You are missing slue of REQUIRED libraries.
>

> Well, hp-check seems broken, so I wouldn't take it all that seriously.
> It probably only works on linux. How can it complain of missing libusb
> and then proceed to use it?

Actually that is a new information to me. On my OpenBSD 4.3 current
hp-check works like a charm.
You can manually check if you have each one of those libraries.

You are probably right about the fact that failure to get serial device
number is the show stopper but that seems
that points again to inability of ugen driver to fully communicate with
the printer. I started dusting of my C skills (in the real life I am a
mathematician) in particularly because I want look those  drivers for
USB devices.

Sorry, I could not be of more help. As I said earlier you can use
printing function if you leave ulpt driver but that
definitely kills the purpose of having all-in-one device.

Best,

Predrag