hplip setup problems

Isaac Mushinsky itz at mushinsky.net
Tue Mar 25 21:21:17 PDT 2008

I am close to assasinating my HP Photosmart C4280 in frustration.

1. This is an all-in-one device. (I did not try the scanner setup yet)
2. ulpt, umass, uscanner modules are not in kernel and not kld-loaded.
3. Machine is FreeBSD 7-stable/amd64.
4. hplip is 2.8.2

$ usbdevs
addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
addr 1: EHCI root hub, Intel
 addr 2: Photosmart C4200 series, HP
addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
addr 1: EHCI root hub, Intel

There is a ppd file for these series with the hplip distribution.

hpssd, cups started in the order needed. hp-setup detects the printer, and then says 'Unable to create queue'. CUPS web interface actually adds the printer, but then cannot print test page to it. cups user runs hpssd (I tried root too).

/var/log/messages has:
Mar 25 23:57:56 omsk python: io/hpmud/musb.c 135: unable get_string_descriptor -5: Input/output error
Mar 25 23:57:56 omsk python: io/hpmud/musb.c 1951: invalid serial id string ret=-5

Here is all relevant output:
http://omsk.mushinsky.net/hplip-trouble

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.