Subversion and FreeBSD permission problems

Mark G. mark-fbsd-quest-10+20080323 at giovannetti.ca
Sun Mar 23 17:02:16 PDT 2008

Hi Darrell,

Please don't top post.  Further help follows.

Darrell Blake wrote:
> I'm SSHing to my server from my desktop as I haven't actually got a
> monitor on the server but when I do a sockstat I get the following
> output regarding svn:
>
> svuser    svnserve   846   3  tcp6   *:3690                *:*
>
> When I try and do "telnet 127.0.0.1 3690" on the server I get...
>
> telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused.
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
>
> ...and if I try and do "telnet 192.168.0.10 3690" from my desktop I get...
>
> Connecting To 192.168.0.10...Could not open connection to the host, on port 3690
> : Connect failed"
>
> I'm not opposed to using SVN via SSH but I'd kind like to get a
> vanilla SVN server going first. It's becoming an unusually steep
> learning curve =o)

I wonder if you have inetd running and intercepting these
connections--not likely, but you can check.

Have you gone through the /path-to-repository/conf/svnserve.conf
file and twiddled with any of the settings in there?

Check man svnserve.conf and man svnserve (there's a debug setting
for the server that might provide some clues as to why connections
are failing).  Particularly, in svnserve.conf(5) is:

   "anon-access = none|read|write
       Determines the access  level  for  unauthenticated  users.   write
       access  allows  all repository operations.  read access allows all
       operations except committing  and  changing  revision  properties.
       none access allows no access.  The default level is read.

    auth-access = none|read|write ..."

Mark