List replies

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sat Mar 22 16:32:58 PDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 11:54:00PM +0100, Tore Lund wrote:
> Jonathan McKeown wrote:
> > [snip]
> > As regards copying the original recipients, this list specifically requests
> > it: check the regular posting titled ``how to get best results from
> > freebsd-questions'', particularly para VII.6.
>
> I think you mean para VI.6.  The gist of that paragraph is a wish to
> avoid taking "a message which is of general interest off the list",
> hence the advice to cc the list.  There is no argument there about why
> the sender should receive the mail.  Indeed, such a practice is simply
> counter-productive to the intention expressed, since copying the sender
> increases the likelihood that a message (or even an ensuing discussion)
> of general interest is taken off the list.
>
> I request that this misunderstood piece of "etiquette" is revised.  If
> someone has the brains to find this list as well as the brains to use
> FreeBSD at all, they also have the brains to come back here to look for
> answers.

Wrong.  Not everybody who posts here is even aware that it is a mailing
list, much less how to read mails sent to the list.
There are reasons why this list is explicitly and deliberatly set up so you
do not need to be subscribed to post here.

If you want the full story search the archives.  It has after all been
discussed several times over the years - with pretty much the same arguments
being made each time, and the same result in the end: no change in policy.
I do not expect this iteration to be any different.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se