List replies

Tore Lund tl32 at next.online.no
Sat Mar 22 16:22:17 PDT 2008

Jonathan McKeown wrote:
> [snip]
> As regards copying the original recipients, this list specifically requests
> it: check the regular posting titled ``how to get best results from
> freebsd-questions'', particularly para VII.6.

I think you mean para VI.6.  The gist of that paragraph is a wish to
avoid taking "a message which is of general interest off the list",
hence the advice to cc the list.  There is no argument there about why
the sender should receive the mail.  Indeed, such a practice is simply
counter-productive to the intention expressed, since copying the sender
increases the likelihood that a message (or even an ensuing discussion)
of general interest is taken off the list.

I request that this misunderstood piece of "etiquette" is revised.  If
someone has the brains to find this list as well as the brains to use
FreeBSD at all, they also have the brains to come back here to look for
answers.  Copying the sender makes no sense at all, as far as I can see.
Whether or not headers should be modified is a separate matter.
--
    Tore