dedicated server specs / 7.0-Release

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Thu Mar 20 07:16:29 PDT 2008

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:42:38 +0100
"Zbigniew Szalbot" <zszalbot at gmail.com> wrote:

> > In a some cases it might be smarter to go for "better" drives (made for
> > operating 24/7).
> >  That being said, I've often used shitty drives myself on servers that have
> > been up for ages at a time.
>
> Right! It will be used for hosting a couple of domains and quite
> extensive email service. I was planning to use the second HD to
> replicate data in case of emergency.

are you getting any kind of out-of-band access to the server? ie, serial
console, ilo/DRAC card  ?

For certain server use, I would spend $ on that rather than a hardware RAID
card (but would use software RAID if I cared about the data in the server...)

if you don't have that, discuss with your DC about what they can provide in an
emergency - ie, sometimes I've just opened a ticket to get a console attached
for a few hours (when I setup some extra software RAID and need to drop to
console, for example), but don't have one attached ALL the time.

Again, depends on what you want to spend...but it's important that you think of
those things in advance and know which path to take to resolve issues that may
arise.

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it."
   George Bernard Shaw

Warned.