confusion configuring NAT

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Wed Mar 19 16:45:14 PDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 03:51:12PM -0500, David Alanis wrote:
> Being I am a newcomer to freeBSD, on my first install google turned up a
> how to for getting my box on the Internet as a firewall/DHCP/DNS server.
> Since, I've been learning the packet filtering program (pf). Everytime I
> read a question on ipfw I quickly get confused.
>
> What are the major advantages one over the other? I hope not to sound
> biased but pf seems more user friendly, easier to implement, and less
> verbose?

Ipfw is much older than pf, so for many years the big advantage of ipfw
was that it existed, while pf did not. :-)
Today many people already know how to use ipfw and for them the advantage
of ipfw over pf is that there is no need to learn a new system.

If you are new to both ipfw and pf, there is not much reason not to use pf.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se