Anyone have any luck installing openoffice?

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Tue Mar 18 14:12:23 PDT 2008

Andreas Davour wrote:

> No I have tried to manually download the package for openoffice, which
> barfed since dependencies where not present.
>
> pkg_add -r didn't work since there was no package where it should have
> been on the site to download.
>
> I have tried to build from source as well and that fails since the
> source can not be found. (ports tree updated)
>
> How do I install it? I need it pretty bad right now.
>
> It was't this hard last time I tried.
>
> /Andreas

I installed mine from ports some time ago and didn't have any
difficulties. It took ages to compile however  - obviously - so if you
need it right now this might not be an option.

A quick search in ftp's  Latest directory does not reveal an openoffice
package, but there is one in the All directory:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7-stable/All/openoffice.org-2.3.1_1.tbz

You could try the following, as root (assuming tcsh):

setenv PACKAGESITE
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7-stable/All/

pkg_add -r openoffice.org-2.3.1_1

(there are also a 2.4 and a 3.0 version there, have a look at the ftp)