X.org 7.3 sure is a mess...

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Tue Mar 18 09:11:43 UTC 2008

     Now that I've upgraded to X.org 7.3, I'm wishing that I hadn't done it.
Firefox hangs the server, using lots of CPU time, and the only way to get
the screen, keyboard, and mouse access again is to power the machine down and
up again, and then reboot.  The xscreensaver modules mostly display nicely in
the little window in the xscreensaver preferences panel, but about half of
them when run in full-screen mode immediately crash the X server on a signal
11.  PuTTY (installed from a port) is missing its terminal fonts, so I'm
stuck using ssh(1) inside an xterm.
     I'm still discovering more and more broken stuff in 7.3 each day.  It's
only partially usable.  How did this release ever make it out the door?  What
a mess.  I suppose I can restore from the backups to get back to 6.9, though,
but what a drag.  All that mucking around to get through the upgrade, and for
this??  Pardon my frustration, please.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG