state of flash on FreeBSD 7?

LtCdData ltcddata at davids-website.com
Sun Mar 16 15:18:02 UTC 2008

On Sunday 16 March 2008 00:09, C Thala wrote:
Like Javascript, with regards to Flash, what was once a nuisance has
more or less become a necessity.

I turned off JS on my browsers for several years and avoided most
popup/web issues that people had. Nowadays, I can leave it on because
Firefox plus some plugins do a good job of blocking most of the crap
and because it doesn't destabilize the browser like it once used to.

So what's the deal with Flash? Occasionally, I will get a link on
YouTube/Google Video that looks interesting, but for the most part,
I've ignored them. Over the years, I have occasionally tried the
mozilla flash plugin, but that has always crashed my browser within
the first 10 minutes of use.

So for those of you using FreeBSD 7, what is the current state of
Flash? Can it be used regularly? Is it ready for the BSD desktop?
Caveats? Comments? Advice?

I see flash popping on this list over and over, and as yet I have not seen a
solution that fully works. Yes I tried the wrappers, gnash etc. on native
firefox and opera with limited success, however as others have also noted
flash is now required, and as for myself, fully working flash 9 is also.
Linux firefox with the linux flash did improve the situation for me a great
amount up to flash 7, but then again.. trip on to a bit of flash 9 content
and it is crash again....
I know this might not be the solution people might want, but for me at any
rate it works, and works better than all the other flash solutions I have
tried.
After a long time of putting up with crashing browsers and lack of access to
flash content I need, I am now using firefox / opera with flash for window$
under WINE, and the only thing I am thinking is, why did I not do this
sooner...

LtCdData

oops!! posting this again due to not having the correct addy set