Network identity for sending mail.

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sun Mar 16 08:16:14 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 06:17:47PM +1030, Malcolm Kay wrote:
> The send-pr appears to assume that mail can and will be sent
> directly through sendmail or equivalent rather than inderctly through
> an ISP mail service.

Does it not work if you configure sendmail to send via your ISP's mail
server?

> I can certainly successfully send mail directly
> via sendmail but as I don't have a static IP address or a registered
> name the (bogus?) name used is not able to be validated. So when I send-pr
> I get a returned mail message which includes the following:

> <FreeBSD-gnats-submit at freebsd.org>
>     (reason: 450 4.7.1 <mail.whatnot.on.net>: Helo command rejected: Host not found)
>
> It seems most destinations are not so pedantic and accept the (bogus) name.
>
> Now if I set up sendmail with some registered name in place of mail.whatnot.on.net
> then I believe the message will be accepted.

Perhaps, but most likely whatever name you supply will have to resolve to
the same IP it was sent from for it to be accepted.

> So the question is would it be legitimate or fraudulent to set sendmail to work with
> the name of my ISP's mail server in the Helo command -- after all this is the rout that
> will be followed by any responses.
>
> Is there a better way around the difficulty.

You could also use dynamic DNS (see e.g. www.dyndns.org) to get a real
hostname that sendmail (and other services) can use.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se