Network identity for sending mail.

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Sun Mar 16 07:47:19 UTC 2008

The send-pr appears to assume that mail can and will be sent
directly through sendmail or equivalent rather than inderctly through
an ISP mail service. I can certainly successfully send mail directly
via sendmail but as I don't have a static IP address or a registered
name the (bogus?) name used is not able to be validated. So when I send-pr
I get a returned mail message which includes the following:

<FreeBSD-gnats-submit at freebsd.org>
    (reason: 450 4.7.1 <mail.whatnot.on.net>: Helo command rejected: Host not found)

It seems most destinations are not so pedantic and accept the (bogus) name.

Now if I set up sendmail with some registered name in place of mail.whatnot.on.net
then I believe the message will be accepted.

So the question is would it be legitimate or fraudulent to set sendmail to work with
the name of my ISP's mail server in the Helo command -- after all this is the rout that
will be followed by any responses.

Is there a better way around the difficulty.

Views please

Malcolm Kay