6.3 And VIA 8237S Controller

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Fri Mar 14 06:54:49 UTC 2008

I just bought a new MSI P4M900M2 mobo.  It works just fine with both
Windoze and SUSE Linux.  When I tried booting 6.2 on it, it refused to
set the drive (ad0 - I tried several different drives) into the
higher speed UDMA modes.  So, I downloaded 6.3, and it *seemed* to
be fine.  The drives come up as UDMA 100 or UDMA 133.

But ... under long disk operations - say untaring a 2G tarball
stored on a USB drive - I start to see this:

ad0: WARNING WRITE_DMA UDMA ICRC ERROR

And eventually:

ad0: FAILURE WRITE_DMA Status=51 .... Error=84

g_vfs_done():ad0s1f ...

What's going on here? Is there a known driver problem with the VIA
chipsets?  I took the two drives I tried this with, and stuck them
in another machine - no problem, so I kind of doubt this is a drive
problem.  I have replaced the IDE cables as well.  Again, this same
mobo and drive combo worked flawlessly doing the same thing under SUSE
Linux, so I'm thinking this is a software problem.

Any help much appreciated...
Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com