Using Install CD To Prepare Hard Disk

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Mar 13 22:44:22 UTC 2008

On Mar 13, 2008, at 3:28 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> I would like to use the CD install menus to only prepare the hard
> disk (Partition, Label, Format) without actually installing anything
> on
> the drive.  Can this be done?

There should be a "(W)rite" option on the various pages which let you
at least partition the drive without installing the software.

> There seems to be no "None" option for
> Distributions, and I cannot find the right magic to make the installer
> go ahead and prepare the drive w/o resorting to at least a minimal
> install.

On the other hand, it would be perfectly reasonable to attach a new
drive to a working system and run the fdisk and newfs commands by hand
from the CLI or sysinstall, if you prefer doing it that way...

--
-Chuck