named questions.

jekillen jekillen at prodigy.net
Thu Mar 13 01:00:58 UTC 2008

Hello:
I have named running as secondary server on v6.2
It will not start without a specific configuration file set
on the command line. After doing some investigation
it appears that that is because it runs chrooted and
there is not a symlink from /etc/namedb. Is that a correct
assumption? I read the man page and it specifies
the default configuration file as /etc/namedb/named.conf
and along with this file there are master and slave directories.
Would I make the /etc/namedb/named.conf file to be a symlink
to /var/named/etc/namedb/named.conf?

There are some other entries in rc.conf related to named that
appear in my primary nameserver rc.conf file that relate to getting
it up at boot but I have lost root access to that machine so I cannot
recover the rc.conf details and I do not remember what document-
ation I was using to set it up.

I was advised to start named as a user other than root but when I
tried that named would not start because the user I set it to does
not have write permission in the directory that has the pid file.

When named starts at boot what user does it run as, by default?

Thank you for any guidance.
Jeff K