USB printer

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Wed Mar 12 19:37:55 UTC 2008

Chuck Robey wrote:

> Gligor Lucian wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>>

> You know, while there are printing utils that actually work on FreeBSD, I
> can't personally recommend CUPS.  I keep on trying to get it to work on
> FreeBSD efvery year or so, then I need to go over to one of my other
> systems.  Last one I tried was an Epson Stylus C84, but I've also tried HP
> officejets, and I just can't get locally attached printers to work with
> cups.  I can get them to work with things like apsfilter very well, but
> either someone is going to have to fix the Cups port (it builds, but
> nothing locally runs) or stop recommending it.
>
> Or, does anyone else have it working on FreeBSD?  Sure would like to hear
> about it, but I've been trying for a long time now, with no success.
>

>>     Thank you very much for your answer.
>>      All the best, Gligor Lucian.

I have cups working on my system, printing on locally attached USB printers.
I have followed the instructions in dekstopBSD wiki:

http://desktopbsd.net/wiki/doku.php?id=doc:printing

(though I used ports and not packages)

I still have some issues if I disconnect / reconnect the printer, the
permissions are not set correctly (although devfs is running).
I might be missing some configuration step, but have not researched
further yet.
Generally speaking, printing works.