FreeBSD 6.2+PHP+700 sites = DNS Issues?

Simon Street ginganutz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 15:17:52 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Mel <fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 06 March 2008 12:12:05 Simon Street wrote:
>
>  > I've copied resolv.conf to /usr/local/etc and HostnameLookups is
>  > already enabled, no joy :( (Have restarted apache also).
>

>  Hmm hmmm.
>  So apache can look up IP's and write hostname into it's log, but php can't
>  resolve anything. If it's got something to do with FDSET, then if it has no
>  traffic at all, the problem should go away. Does it? Not sure if you can test
>  that, but block all incoming traffic for 30 seconds and run your test script,
>  shouldn't be too difficult.
>
>  Does this work:
>  var_dump(gethostbyname("www.example.com"));
>
>  Maybe it isn't related to resolving at all - like, are there any disallowed
>  functions in your php configuration?
var_dump.. etc returns string(15) "www.example.com"

disable_functions shows as none in phpinfo!

However I've just noticed in the domain logs that its logging IP's not
hostnames, I assume this is wrong given "HostnameLookups On" is in a
conf file that is included by httpd.conf. Is there any way to confirm
at runtime that this directive is being obeyed?

Thanks,
Simon