syslogd and bzip2 hogs after 6.3 to 7.0 upgrade

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 6 10:40:08 UTC 2008

Neil Darlow wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently upgraded from RELENG_6_3 to RELENG_7_0 via the source
> method. I followed the upgrade instructions in the 7.0 release notes and
> rebuilt all ports successfully.
>
> My hardware is a VIA EPIA PD10000 (VIA Centerhauls CPU) with gmirrored
> IDE disks and GELI encrypted swap (using padlock).
>
> My kernel is GENERIC with removal of 386, 486 and 585 CPU support and
> addition of options for:
>
> DEVICE_POLLING, HZ=1000, ALTQ, PFLOG, PFSYNC and QUOTA.
>
> I use PF for my firewalling and device polling on my two integrated Via
> Rhine NICs.
>
> This setup worked great under RELENG_6_2 and RELENG_6_3 (only for a
> short period due to RELENG_7_0 becoming available) with absolutely no
> issues whatever.
>
> Since upgrading to RELENG_7_0 I have a problem when the nightly rotation
> of logfiles occurs. A number of bzip2 processes appear which, with
> syslogd, consume huge amounts of CPU.

FreeBSD 7 switches to bzipping logfiles rather than gzipping.

> Looking at the output of "top" I see that my interrupt CPU usage has
> increased to 46% and userland CPU usage to 44%. The remainder is system
> and there is no idle CPU time left.

This should be unrelated to bzip since that is purely CPU bound.  What
is causing the interrupts?  Check vmstat -i.  That is likely to be your
real problem.

Kris