Printing with a laserjet 1018

Peter fbsdq at peterk.org
Wed Mar 5 16:02:39 UTC 2008

>First of all, thanks to those who have helped me so far.
>I have configured the printer and everything looks OK, but when I do a test
>print the test page goes into the printer queue and stays there for ever.
>The printer doesn't even squeak. First I had to use the print driver for a
>laserjet 1010 as I couldn't kind a driver for the 1018. Second the printer
>does work under the alternate OS.

>Any ideas?

>Thank you,

>Bob

Here is my config for the HP1018:
dsl:#pkg_info| egrep "cups|ghost|foo"
cups-base-1.3.4_1   Common UNIX Printing System
cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_1 Postscript interpreter for CUPS printing to
non-PS printers
foo2zjs-20070120_1  Driver for printers that use the ZjStream wire protocol
foomatic-db-20070124_1 Foomatic database
foomatic-filters-3.0.2_4 Foomatic wrapper scripts
ghostscript-gpl-8.60 GPL Postscript interpreter

dsl:$cat /root/bin/printer.sh
#!/bin/sh
export
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin

cat /usr/local/share/foo2zjs/firmware/sihp1018.dl > /dev/ugen0.1

you might need to change your 'ugen0.1' to whatever USB port your printer
is plugged into.  Before you can use the printer, you have to do that
above 'cat' command to load firmware.

make sure regular users can use the printer: [chmod 666]
dsl:#ls -l /dev/ugen0.1
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator    0,  40 Mar  4 23:32 /dev/ugen0.1

and
via the cups web interface [localhost:631] just configure a new printer
and choose the HP foo drivers,etc.etc.  It just works.
When you do the 'cat' command for firmware, the printer should make some
noise and moving around.  After that I'm able to print from
konqueror/kprinter/firefox/etc.etc.

dsl:#cat /usr/local/etc/cups/printers.conf
# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.3.4
# Written by cupsd on 2008-02-27 18:44
<Printer HP1018>
Info HP LaserJet 1018
Location 1018