Expanding file system

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Mar 3 17:55:33 UTC 2008

Jeffery Swan wrote:

> The problem is, df only reports back the original 905 Gig. It seems that
> the RAID controller did migrate my data but left the additional space
> "raw". What I need to know how to do now is extend my original partition
> (slice) to include the newly added space without loosing data.

You need to do three things in this order.

  i) update the disk partition table to match the new size of your
     composite drive.  Essentially so long as your partition starts
     at the same place, you can move the partition end point to increase
     the size without massive breakage[*].  Use fdisk(8) to do this.

 ii) Update the partition table using bsdlabel(8).  The same caveats
     apply about adding space at the end of a partition only.

iii) Extend the UFS filesystem to fill up the newly available space.
     Use growfs(8) to do this.

This is a job with a reasonably high risk of some mis-step destroying your
data, so make very sure you have good backups before you begin.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Ummm... assuming you're using the traditional partition / slice
thing.  If you're using gpt(8) then I'm not actually at all clear on
how you would go about something like this.

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW