Suggestions for OS to use behind freebsd pf firewalls.

Predrag Punosevac punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Sun Mar 2 19:16:19 UTC 2008

eculp wrote:
> Quoting Mehul Ved <mehul.n.ved at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 7:15 AM, eculp <eculp at encontacto.net> wrote:
>>>  My problem is that I haven't done a linux install since before
>>>  FreeBSD 2.2 IIRC and have no idea which version would be the most
>>>  versatile and has an installer that is basically brain dead simple
>>>  with most all drivers.  I suspect that I am asking the impossible but
>>>  you never know.
>>
>> Maybe PC-BSD or Sabayon Linux. Sabayon is based on gentoo and contains
>> lots of proprietory drivers built in. So, if you have no problem with
>> that maybe
>> you could look at Sabayon Linux too.
>
> I've never heard of Sabayon but will definitely give it a shot on my
> laptop first and take a good look at the licensing.
>
> I really like the idea of PC-BSD but the Flash thing, holds me back a
> bit.

They have a hack for Flush. If can use PBI to install Wine+Windows
Firefox + Windows Flash so their flash just
works like on Windows. They also have PBI for JDK Java. As I mentioned
earlier I do not trust PBI very much but
will take PC-BSD  with  PBI any day over the Windows.

You should look again at Ubuntu which is Debian based if you want Linux.
Mint is also another distro based on Ubuntu with more proprietary
drivers. PC-Linux another distro to be aware. Sebayon based on Gentoo is
excellent Linux distro easy to work and with
lots of proprietary drivers.

Personally  if  I had to chose  Linux  I would  stick with Debian based
distro because of the package management and
the largest number of packages available.

Cheers,
Predrag