FreeBSD bind performance in FreeBSD 7

Christian Brueffer brueffer at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 1 12:45:12 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 02:20:58AM +0000, Chris wrote:
> On 01/03/2008, Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On 01/03/2008, Chris <chrcoluk at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > You working round what I just said.  A nic should perform equally well
> > >  as it does in other operating systems just because its cheaper its not
> > >  an excuse for buggy performance.  There is also other good network
> > >  cards apart from intel pro 1000.  I am talking about stability not
> > >  performance, I expect a intel pro 1000 to outperform a realtek however
> > >  I expect both to be stable in terms of connectivity.  I expect a
> > >  realtek in freebsd to perform as well as a realtek in windows and
> > >  linux. :)
> >
> > Patches please!
> >

> > Adrian
> >

> > --
> > Adrian Chadd - adrian at freebsd.org
> >

> Ironically the latest server I got last night has a intel pro 1000 a rarity :)
>
> I am just giving feedback as when I speak to people in the datacentre
> and hosting business the biggest gripe with freebsd is hardware
> compatability, as I adore freebsd I ignore this and work round it but
> its defenitly reducing take up.
>
> Of course I know current re issues are getting attention which I am
> thankful for, I fully understand the time and effort required to write
> drivers patches etc. and have got no critisicms for the people who do
> this my complaint is more focused on people claiming there is no
> issues its just the hardware.

Pyun YongHyeon has fixed a lot of driver issues (i.e. re(4), bfr(4), vr(4))
over the last few months, many are already in CURRENT or RELENG_7 (not
sure how many of them made it into 7.0-RELEASE) or posted as patches
to the current@ mailing list.

If you have problems, please see if they persist with a CURRENT snapshot.