ndis0 panic when ifconfig inet IP address

Glenn g.todd at internet.co.nz
Sat Mar 1 09:43:51 UTC 2008

I have just upgraded my Asus A2 notebook from 6.1 to FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE
#0 by doing a full clean install. (completely repartitioned my disc
prior to installing)

This notebook uses the Broadcom bcmwl5 wireless drivers which worked
faultlessly using ndis on 6.1

I can kldload ndis and driver bcmwl5_sys without a problem.

However the system panics anytime that I try to config the ip address
either through rc.conf or directly e.g. ifconfig ndis inet 192.168.0.5
netmask 255.255.255.0

Got the error on the GENERIC kernel plus my own built kernel

cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address = 0x0
fault code = supervisor read, page not present
instructor pointer = 0x20:0xc0a464f8
stack pointer = 0x28:0xcbfd8b04
frame pointer = 0x28:0xcbfd8b3c
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0xib
	     = DPL0, pres 1 def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process = 994 (ndis0 taskq)
trap number = 12

Any idea what the problem may be?

Glenn