bsdlabel has no effect

Anselm Strauss amsibamsi at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 11:31:36 UTC 2008

Hi,

originally I had the following labels on my ad0 disk (no partitions,
directly labeled /dev/ad0):

# /dev/ad0:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
   a: 1048576         0    4.2BSD     1024  8192 46248
   c: 1048576         0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part,
don't edit

Since this was written from a file image the my compact flash card,
and the card has now 8GB instead of 512MB, I wanted to grow the labels
after having booted the system, and that worked. So now it is:

# /dev/ad0:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
   a: 15662304        0    4.2BSD     1024  8192 46248
   c: 15662304        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part,
don't edit

But unfortunately, I also grew label 'a', although I did not grow the
filesystem. What I actually wanted was to stay 'a' the size it is and
add new labels. So I tried to shrink 'a' again, to finally have
something like:

# /dev/ad0:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
   a:  1048576        0    4.2BSD     1024  8192 46248
   c: 15662304        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part,
don't edit

before adding new labels. But somehow bsdlabel has no effect when
shrinking 'a'. No error or verbose message, the labels are just the
same before running it, whether I use the edit mode or restore mode.

Am I not supposed to shrink a label like that?

Cheers,
Anselm