FreeBSD based web hosting?

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Thu Jun 19 21:59:32 UTC 2008

At 10:37 PM -0400 6/18/08, Maxim Khitrov wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 9:27 PM, cpghost <cpghost at cordula.ws> wrote:
>>  On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:31:31 +1000
>>  Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>
>>>  I'm looking for somebody to host some web sites for me.  Ideally I'd
>>>  like a complete machine, but a jail would do too.  I can find plenty
>>>  of Linux-based offerings, but the only one I can find with FreeBSD is
>>>  in Germany and requires me to be resident in Germany.  Can anybody
>>>  point me to one that I, as an Australian resident, can use?
>>
>>  Here's a list of FreeBSD-based hosters:
>>   http://www.freebsd.org/commercial/isp.html
>>

>Is anyone here using RootBSD?

I recently signed up for a Xen VPS setup at RootBSD.  It seems to be
working fine, at least for what I want out of it.  I'm using it as a
"hot-spare, off-site backup" for a service that I run, so what I'm
doing is probably much less demanding than what most people would
want from it.  But so far I've been able to set things up the way I
want, and it's worked fine.  My biggest problem so far is that I
haven't had enough spare time to work on it!

I have no idea if they would take customers from outside the US,
but they have been pretty responsive to questions I have sent to
them via email.

I see they've updated their site since I signed up:
   http://www.rootbsd.net/

>I'm currently with JohnCompanies. Overall, it's been a positive
>experience, though I wish they offered FreeBSD 7. Beta testing for
>it was supposed to begin last month, but so far no news.

My Xen VPS is setup with FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE.  When I signed up,
they were just starting to try Xen-based setups instead of jails.
It looks like they've officially rolled that out as a service to
everyone.

>My main concern is disk space; I have 2GB for ~$26 per month. For the
>same price at RootBSD you could get almost eight times as much. The
>question is how reliable are they? I can't find any information on
>their site about where the data center is or the exact system
>specifications.

Machines are located in two different datacenters in Raleigh, NC (or
at least, that's what they told me!).  In my case, I just wanted a
machine located far enough away from Troy, NY that any problem which
took out my office machine would not take out my "off-site" machine.
North Carolina sounded far enough away to me!

At the moment, my machine has been up for 35 days, and at that time
the reason it went down was because I rebooted it after making some
changes.  I've had the system for maybe two months, and haven't had
any problems with it.  Remember though, I haven't been pushing it
all that much.  Basically do automatic backups to it at night, and
then may ssh into it to test a few things a week.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu