Vsftpd rotate logs with newsyslog...

Ruben de Groot mail25 at bzerk.org
Thu Jun 19 07:36:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:29:13AM -0400, David Robillard typed:
> >> Well, i take this opportunity also to ask about Apache too....which signal
> >> should i send?
> >
> > A HUP signal should work for apache.
>
> Actually, the Apache documentation says that one must use USR1 instead
> of HUP to send a gracefull restart instead of a hangup.
> This is to let the children httpd processes some time to finish their
> transactions before the master restarts. It is also for this reason
> that the logs should not be compressed by newsyslogd.

Well yes, this is precisely the reason why we use a SIGHUP (equivalent to
"apachectl restart") instead of a SIGUSR1 (apachectl graceful). We don't
really care about a few broken client connections since the logs are rotated
at a quiet time.

Of course, YMMV.

regards,
Ruben