Problems opening mail on this list

Andrew Berry andrewberry at sentex.net
Wed Jun 11 17:12:29 UTC 2008

Ian Smith wrote:
> However, what normally happens to attachments to questions@, at least to
> digests, is that they get stripped with a note pointing to the original
> attachment, as this subsequent message from Chad illustrates:

Which makes sense - attachments don't clog up the list, and people can
download them if they want. What I think is happening is that the
attachment is being stripped, and Outlook is looking for it since it can
be inferred that it exists from the MIME type. Of course, the error
should be that the message can't be authenticated (That's what Mail
does, and it's just a line, not a modal dialog), and have nothing to do
with the recipient needing a certificate. But I think it's more general,
as a PGP signature (which is no different from any other attachment)
also caused Bob the error. I wonder if *any* scrubbed attachment will
cause a problem?

I just had to set up another system as my macbook's network card has
died, so I'll send a signed message with Thunderbird in a minute to see
if it also causes the error. Bob, if it still causes an error, you
should seriously look at changing to a mail client which won't cause you
these problems, since you can't control what users on mailing lists send
you :).

--Andrew