Problems opening mail on this list

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Wed Jun 11 06:17:49 UTC 2008

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 219, Issue 7 At Message: 20
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:23:32 -0400 Andrew Berry <andrewberry at sentex.net> wrote:
 [..]

 > On 10-Jun-08, at 1:07 PM, Paul Schmehl wrote:
 >
 > > Andrew, maybe you could send a signed message, state in the body
 > > that it was signed, and then I can look at the headers and tell you
 > > what's going on.
 >
 > Here is a message which has been signed.
 >
 > --Andrew
 >
 > ------------------------------

Note that I'm replying to a digest message so a) threading is screwed
and b) I don't see full headers of individual messages, but this shows
that your message hit the digest without attachment, and others report
no attachment seen in list mail either, as this reply by Paul shows:

 > > Here is a message which has been signed.
 > >

 > There's no sig attached, so it's getting stripped off somewhere.
 > This line in the headers looks to be the culprit:
 >
 > That will strip all attachments, including S/MIME.

However, what normally happens to attachments to questions@, at least to
digests, is that they get stripped with a note pointing to the original
attachment, as this subsequent message from Chad illustrates:

 > Message: 27
 > Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:32:45 -0600
 > From: Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com>
 > Subject: Re: Problems opening mail on this list
 > To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org

Note Content-type: possibly modified from original? ..

 > On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 03:34:59PM -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
 > > --On Tuesday, June 10, 2008 16:23:32 -0400 Andrew Berry
 > > <andrewberry at sentex.net> wrote:

 > > >Here is a message which has been signed.
 > > >

 > > There's no sig attached, so it's getting stripped off somewhere.
 > > This line in the headers looks to be the culprit:
 > >
 > > That will strip all attachments, including S/MIME.
 >
 > My PGP signatures seem to come through just fine, however.
 >
 > --
 > Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
 > Anonymous: "Eat your crow early, while it's young and tender.  Don't wait
 > until it's old and tough."

So Andrew, there's something different about your particular S/MIME
attachments I guess.  Another illustration from an earlier digest:

: Message: 29