Networking issues

Ivan "Rambius" Ivanov rambiusparkisanius at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 17:25:58 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 10:19 PM, Andrew Falanga <af300wsm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have, for some time, been able to ssh into my father's FreeBSD machine in
> the Road Runner network in Central New York.  Last night, I tried so that I
> could fix a problem for him and ssh timed out.  No problem I thought, his
> modem has a different IP than the one I have in my /etc/hosts file, but this
> turned to not be the case.
This may be off-topic, but...

I am using cable internet Time Warner/Road Runner/Earthlink in New
York. However, I have a wireless router behind the cable modem and the
router is registered with dyndns.org.  When I registered with them, I
chose a dns name from them for the router and every time my IP changes
the router sends a request and their database is updated with the new
IP - this is roughly how they work. So I can access machines in my
home network usind a DNS name instead of an IP address. You and your
dad may find this setup useful.

Regards
Rambius

Tangra Mega Rock: http://www.radiotangra.com