Duplex printer advice

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Sun Jun 1 08:05:57 UTC 2008

At 04:12 PM 5/31/2008, Kurt Buff wrote:
>All,
>
>I'm looking to replace my current printer - a Dell 1700n - because I
>can't make it work with FreeBSD/Linux.
>
>To replace it, I'd like to get a duplex printer, as I really hate to
>waste paper. Does anyone have good experience with one that isn't
>terribly expensive (expensive to me means more than US$500) and that
>works with with FreeBSD? Even better if it has Ethernet.
>
>I'm only finding (on ostg.pricegrabber.com) the Lexmark Optra T622DN
>and T522DN, but don't know much about them.
>
>Anyone care to share?
>
>Kurt

My 2 cents is I'd looks for a printer with a built-in network interface and
that has postscript and pcl emulations.  In addition look at the
replacement toner cost and figure out the cost of ownership across 3-5 years.

I would look at lexmark, and samsung.  Lexmark have higher duty cycles
(pages per month) and take larger toner cartidges.  The samsung's make nice
work group low duty cycle printers.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.